Saturday, September 28, 2013

I am one of the most powerful people in the world.

I am one of the most powerful people in the world. Yes, I am! I am a journalist (sort of) and journalists and dramatists are, in my opinion, the most powerful people alive. They influence the way people understand ongoing social life, and all of political life depends on public opinion. 

Admittedly, I am one of the LEAST powerful members of the most powerful group (only about 3000 people read Peace Magazine, compared to a million readers of a big newspaper or even more viewers of a TV newscast) but I know that what I write matters. It is essential for me to get it right, which requires me to listen carefully when someone is telling me something unfamiliar or contrary to my assumptions. 

But the worst, most poisonous, habit of a journalist is to believe that what he or she writes makes no difference. Everything that we do makes a difference--that's true of all human beings, but especially it's true of us, the most powerful people in the world. So I promise to listen to you if you make any sense whatever, and probably to argue with you if you seem not to understand something that I think I do understand. That's my job. What's YOUR job?

2 Comments:

Blogger nursejane said...

Shame on you. I heard your interview with CBC this evening, regarding the Nobel peace prize. You referred to Malala Yousafzai as "Malala what's her face". I'm not sure if you meant it to be a deliberate slur, but that is how it sounded.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Knee Replacement in Delhi said...

How can I get knee pain relief with home made remedies. Computerized Knee Replacement in Delhi

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home